Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
Cold Before Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery, like any other surgery, requires the patient to be in the best possible health. A severe cough delays surgery because general anesthesia can irritate the airway and make the cough even worse.
Where a cough isn’t always a reason to delay surgery, if the patient is experiencing fever, the bariatric surgery will be rescheduled.
- Generally, surgeons delay the patient’s bariatric surgery on account of a chest cold. The reason behind this delay is that the surgeon wants the patient’s lungs to be clear at the time of surgery.
- If the patient is experiencing common cold before bariatric surgery, they are advised to drink lots of water and take adequate rest. Doctors recommend immunity boosters like Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is known to reduce the symptoms of common cold.1
- On reaching the hospital, x-rays are taken to ensure there is no fluid in the lungs. Treatments like nebulization are available to help clear the fluid build up.
Here are some pre-op liquid diet ideas that can help you consume lots of liquids for a quicker recovery!
Question- Can I undergo Bariatric Surgery if I have a Cold?
- You should be able to take a general cough or common cold medicine that you prefer. However, it is essential that you double check the same with your case manager and bariatric surgeon.
- Please do not let the problem linger.
- Drink lots of liquids, including tea with a little honey.
- Get some rest to allow your body to get better.
- Emanuele Lo Menzo, Alessandro Cappellani, Antonio Zanghi et al. “Nutritional Implications of Obesity: Before and After Bariatric Surgery” Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care 2014; 9(1): 9-17
Related Searches and Questions
- Cold symptoms before surgery
- Colds and surgery
- Can you have surgery with a cold?
- Reasons to cancel surgery
- Common cold before surgery