Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
The amount of weight you lose will depend on the kind of bariatric surgery chosen as well as on the conscious lifestyle alterations made by you by increasing your physical activity levels and eating well. Not committing to lifestyle changes will make you regain the weight lost. However, it is important to have reasonable weight loss goals.
To be called a bariatric surgery success, you will have to keep off more than half of the excess weight lost. The surgery helps you lose weight and also eliminate medications for co-morbidities.
(Source: MedPage Today)
Excess weight lost is the fastest after gastric bypass surgery, followed by gastric sleeve and lap band surgery.
Weight Loss After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
To ensure that the patient’s gastric sleeve surgery is a success, it is important to include lifestyle changes, following which one can expect weight loss.
- Individuals with gastric sleeve lose about 18 % percent of excess body weight in the first month. 1
- Average excess body weight loss by the end of 6 months is nearly 50%.
- By the end of the first year the average excess body weight loss is 63%.
Studies at a Glance:
- In a 2013 study published in the journal Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases gastric sleeve patients with an average BMI of 43 were covered. The mean follow up was 5.9 years.2
- The average excessive BMI lost over 5 years was 57.4%. The first year reported considerable weight loss with decreased but stable weight loss in the subsequent years post surgery.
- The study concluded that the average excessive BMI lost was:
- 5% (12.6 kg/m2) after 1 year
- 1% (12.4 kg/m2) after 2 years
- 4% (11.2 kg/m2) after 5 years
- The report also concluded that sleeve gastrectomy is effective in reducing nearly 60% of excessive BMI and results in complete remission of co-morbidities in patients after almost 6 years.
- Another study by Vincent W. Vanek wav s conducted on two groups of morbidly obese patients – one was treated with diet and the other went through gastric sleeve surgery. 3 The results showed that the prior group lost 2% of the excessive BMI and the latter lost 27% over a median follow up of more than 15 years.
Weight Loss After Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Studies show that patients lose about 30% to 40% of their excess body weight in the first 6 months, post gastric bypass.4
- Within one year of the surgery many patients lose a considerable amount of excess BMI and are quite close to their goal weight.
- The stomach pouch usually stretches after 21 months to hold more food which stabilizes weight loss.
- Overall, the average excess body weight loss by patients is about 60%. For instance, a person weighing 350-pounds (who weighs 200 pounds extra) would drop about 120 pounds.5
The surgeon guides the patient through choosing the most beneficial weight loss procedure. There are risks and complications in both gastric bypass and gastric sleeve but with care and a conscious effort of living a healthier life, the patient eventually settles down.
A dose of weight loss motivation to help you reach your target.
- Marcy Brinkley; Expected Monthly Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve; http://www.livestrong.com/article/293635-expected-monthly-weight-loss-with-the-gastric-sleeve/
- Kristina Fiore; Gastric Sleeve Works Long Term, MedPage Today; http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/40490
- Vincent W. Vanek, MD, FACS, CNSP; Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery; http://laparoscopy.blogs.com/prevention_management_3/2010/11/laparoscopic-bariatric-surgery.html
- Weight Loss Surgery: What to Expect the First Year; WebMD Feature Archive http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/weight-loss-surgery-what-to-expect-the-first-year?page=2
- What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery? WebMD Medical Reference http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/what-gastric-bypass-surgery?page=2
Related Questions and Searches
- What is the average weight loss after gastric sleeve?
- How fast do you lose weight after gastric bypass surgery?
- Can you put weight back on after gastric sleeve?
- How fast will I lose weight after gastric sleeve surgery?
- How much weight do you lose the first month after gastric bypass?