Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
Question – How long does the hair fall after bariatric surgery last? I’ve lost a lot of hair recently. I’ve been taking biotin for it. Will it help?
There are many causes of hair loss after any weight loss surgery procedure. All of the reasons mostly direct towards nutritional deficiencies that one faces for a period, 3-4 months after the surgery.
Cause of Hair loss Post Weight Loss Surgery
Hair loss after bariatric surgery isn’t chronic hair loss, but a condition called Telogen Effluvium. Nutritional deficiencies lead to hair loss after surgery. Also, it is the second-most common cause of hair loss.1 This condition is indicated by nonscarring hair loss.2
It occurs around 2-3 months after weight loss surgery and generally lasts for 3-6 months, at the most.
Causes of Telogen Effluvium
- Extreme Weight Loss
- Physical Trauma
- Sudden Change in Diet
- Iron Deficiency
It is important to know that this is a temporary condition. This hair loss can be subtle or happen suddenly. In both the cases, the hair does grow back.3
Weight loss surgery associated hair loss is a result of iron, zinc and protein deficiencies as well. It is completely normal.4 It is crucial to be regular with your supplements and consume the required amount of protein daily.5
Curing Telogen Effluvium After Bariatric Surgery
According to the British Association of Dermatologists (BAD), Telogen Effluvium resolves itself in 3 to 6 months. Following this period, the hair goes into the anagen phase from the telogen phase. But, it takes time to restore the original thickness of the hair.6
Protein and biotin won’t prevent the hair loss that happens right after bariatric surgery, but those nutrients are vital for other reasons/body functions.
Tips to Manage Hair Loss Post Bariatric Surgery
Even though one can’t control this phase, one can always do their best to maintain healthy nutritional levels in their body. It is important to cope with hair loss after gastric surgery without stressing oneself out as that negatively impacts the body.
- Eat a balanced diet in small quantities. Don’t skimp out on proteins.
- Set a good sleep pattern.
- De-stress (Long baths do wonders!)
- Be regular with supplements
Hang in there!
- Robert Shifko, Livestrong. “Vitamins to Take For Telogen Effluvium” 30 July 2018.
- Yavuz, Ibrahim Halil et al. “Assessment of Heavy Metal and Trace Element Levels in Patients with Telogen Effluvium.” Indian Journal of Dermatology 3 (2018): 246–250. PMC. Web. 30 July 2018.
- Harvard Health Publishing, Harvard Medical School. “Telogen Effluvium.” 30 July 2018.
- Ruiz-Tovar J, Oller I et al. “Hair Loss in Females After Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Predictive Value of Serum Zinc and Iron Levels” The American Surgeon 80
- Guo, Emily L., and Rajani Katta. “Diet and Hair Loss: Effects of Nutrient Deficiency and Supplement Use.” Dermatology Practical & Conceptual1 (2017): 1–10. PMC. Web. 30 July 2018.
- British Association of Dermatologists, Patient Information Leaflets (PILs). “Telogen Effluvium (A Type of Hair Loss)” 30 July 2018.
Related Searches and Questions
- Hair loss after Gastric Bypass
- Hair loss 5 five years post bariatric surgery
- How to prevent hair loss after weight loss surgery?
- No hair loss after Gastric Sleeve