Dealing with loose skin post-bariatric surgery but worried about expenses? Plastic surgery after bariatric surgery in Mexico can help you get rid of those skin bags without affecting your budget.
Bariatric surgery completely changes your life in a positive way. The rewards are manifold; like a renewed confidence level and a healthier body. However, the positive results come with loose and saggy skin as well.
The loose skin is a natural phenomena after a rapid weight loss. However, it not only blows up your morale, it may also affect your daily life.
Don’t worry, the hanging skin can be corrected by strategic clothing and compression garments. But these are temporary solutions.
You can also opt for a permanent solution with plastic surger. It is an ideal way to bid adieu to those nasty skin hangers.
“According to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), Wait for at least 12-18 months after weight loss surgery before you go for excess skin removal. Its because your weight must be stable for at least 3 months before this provcedure.”
At Mexico Bariatric Services (MBS), we offer affordable options for plastic surgery after bariatric surgery in Mexico from experienced plastic surgeons.
Body contouring or body lift surgically removes loose skin and fat. It makes the shape of the underlying tissue better.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons states that the number of plastic surgeries from the year 2000 to 2015 has risen by 115%.American Society of Plastic Surgeons, February 25, 2016 “New Statistics Reflect the Changing Face of Plastic Surgery”
View in Article
The graph highlights the percentage rise in different kind of plastic surgeries from Year 2000-2015 in the United States.
Essentials to Assess Need for Plastic Surgery
The initial consultation with MBS plastic surgeon may include assessing the following:
- Your weight loss after bariatric surgery
- Allergies or other medical conditions
- Photos for medical records
- Your current health status including elasticity in the skin
Do You Qualify for a Body Lift?
You are a candidate for post weight loss makeover if:
- Your weight has been stable for at least 3 months after gastric sleeve or Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB).
- You are 18 months or more into the surgery and there has been a remarkable weight loss.
- There is sagging skin on the face, neck, arms, thighs, and abdomen left behind after dramatic weight loss.
How to Send Your Pictures for Review?
Kindly follow these instructions to send us your pictures:
- We recommend taking photos against a white or light colored background. Make sure there are no decorations on the wall.
- Skin must be visible for which treatment is desired.
- Ensure there is ample light when you click the picture.
- Keep your arms straight by your side while taking the picture. Photos in slanting/leaning/inclined positions are not useful.
Plastic Surgeries after Bariatric Surgery
For more information on body lift Mexico cost after bariatric surgery, contact us via our FREE estimate form.
Upper and Lower Body Lift Options
After drastic weight loss, stubborn fat deposits could make you self-conscious and prone to several skin infections. Fortunately, we also offer upper/lower body lift options.
- An upper body lift can be performed on the skin around the arms, chest or waist.
- A lower body lift is carried out on the abdomen, hips, outer thighs, and buttocks.
- For some individuals, a mix called total or complete body lift can also be a viable option.
Panniculectomy/Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck
Abdominoplasty corrects the overhanging abdomen by removing extra skin around the belly to give it a smooth and firm appearance. A 2015 study by Colabianchi V and colleagues states that abdominoplasty should be performed only after stabilization of weight loss.Colabianchi V, de Bernardinis G, Giovannini M, Langella M. Panniculectomy Combined with Bariatric Surgery by Laparotomy: An Analysis of 325 Cases. Surgery Research and Practice. 2015;2015:193670. doi:10.1155/2015/193670.
View in Article
- It involves removal of the abdominal fat and prevention of the same
- Restores muscle for a firm appearance
- Reduced back pain for some
- Regained confidence
- Improved personal hygiene
- Resolution of dermatological problems
Mastopexy/Breast Lift/Breast Reduction/Breast Implants/Mommy Makeover
Mastopexy addresses the issue of sagging breasts after bariatric surgery or breastfeeding. It removes extra tissue and elevates the breast.
Benefits of Mastopexy:
- A solution for larger or smaller breasts
- A solution for drooping nipples and extended areolas
- Better symmetry and shape
- Improved self-confidence
- Treats unequal breasts
Success Rate With Breast Lift
The study by Wilson Cintra Junior and colleagues suggests the following JUNIOR, WILSON CINTRA, MODOLIN, MIGUEL LUIZ ANTONIO, ROCHA, RODRIGO ITOCAZO, & GEMPERLI, ROLF. (2016). Augmentation mastopexy after bariatric surgery: evaluation of patient satisfaction and surgical results. Revista do Colégio Brasileiro de Cirurgiões, 43(3), 160-164
View in Article:
- 95% satisfaction rate with surgical results and upper body contours
- No massive complications
- Mastopexy had a positive influence on various phases of the individual’s life postoperatively
Brachioplasty/Upper Arm Lift
Brachioplasty may be required after a drastic weight loss or aging. The excess fat deposits and are removed from the arm reducing “bat wing” arms.
After weight loss surgery, you may need a thigh lift. Some benefits include Sisti A, Cuomo R, Zerini I, et al. Complications Associated With Medial Thigh Lift: A Comprehensive Literature Review. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery. 2015;8(4):191-197. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.172189.
View in Article:
- Great improvement in medial thigh contours
- Reduction of excess skin and fat in the medial part of the thighs
- No major complications
You may be a candidate for a facelift if you have a sagging face skin, double chin and wrinkled area in your neck post-bariatric surgery. Some benefits include Man, D. Aesth Plast Surg (2016) 40: 670. doi:10.1007/s00266-016-0670-5. “Modified Rhytidectomy that Produces a More Natural Look: Experience with 110 Cases”
View in Article:
- No hairline and ear canal is avoided
- Natural looking results
- Shorter incisions inside the ears that are not visible
Genioplasty/Chin Correction Surgery
Chin correction surgery can be performed to either reduce or augment the chin size.
It is best suited for removing isolated fat deposits. It is best suited for those who want to refine their body curves. Benefits of liposuction include:
- Can be used for suctioning fat from various parts of the body including thighs, arms, and neckline
- Its approach is purely aesthetic and not a solution for obesity removal
- It offers targeted body toning
A mommy makeover is a combination of cosmetic surgeries such as stretch mark removal, breast lift, tummy tucks, arm lifts, and liposuction to restore pre-pregnancy contours and appearance.
Which areas are affected by loose skin after weight loss?
Almost all areas are affected by excess weight loss. Some people have hanging skin on their abdomen while others have it on their thighs.
Dos and Don’ts
The individual has to be in good health and positively motivated for plastic surgery. To determine your fitness for surgery, your surgeon at MBS may ask you to undergo a physical examination. You may have to make some lifestyle changes to accommodate the surgery. Some dos and don’ts to follow include:
- Maintain a stable weight atleast for 3 months before the surgery.
- Be patient for results, since the body needs time to heal
- During your recovery period, it is advisable to have support at home. A family member or friend at home can help you manage with daily chores.
- In case of breast or arm lift, sleep in an inclined position to reduce swelling. You can achieve the desired elevation with pillows under your arm.
- Wear comfortable clothes which do not interfere with the movements of the arm and hands. If possible, wear front open t-shirts.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol for atleast 3 weeks pre- and post-plastic surgery as these affect your metabolism and your recovery time.
- Avoid blood thinning medicines and certain anti-inflammatory drugs that can interfere with healing. Contact your doctor for advice.
- Your scars from surgery will not vanish overnight. So don’t loose heart, these will disappear with time.
Plastic Surgery Prices for Tijuana, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta
Our prices for Mexico are very competitive. Expect to save more than 70% on body contouring compared to the USA.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, February 25, 2016 “New Statistics Reflect the Changing Face of Plastic Surgery”
- Colabianchi V, de Bernardinis G, Giovannini M, Langella M. Panniculectomy Combined with Bariatric Surgery by Laparotomy: An Analysis of 325 Cases. Surgery Research and Practice. 2015;2015:193670. doi:10.1155/2015/193670.
- JUNIOR, WILSON CINTRA, MODOLIN, MIGUEL LUIZ ANTONIO, ROCHA, RODRIGO ITOCAZO, & GEMPERLI, ROLF. (2016). Augmentation mastopexy after bariatric surgery: evaluation of patient satisfaction and surgical results. Revista do Colégio Brasileiro de Cirurgiões, 43(3), 160-164
- Sisti A, Cuomo R, Zerini I, et al. Complications Associated With Medial Thigh Lift: A Comprehensive Literature Review. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery. 2015;8(4):191-197. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.172189.
- Man, D. Aesth Plast Surg (2016) 40: 670. doi:10.1007/s00266-016-0670-5. “Modified Rhytidectomy that Produces a More Natural Look: Experience with 110 Cases”
Listen to this article: