Gastric Bypass in Mexico
Gastric bypass surgery in Mexico can be a good option if you are looking for quality surgical weight loss solutions by top bariatric surgeons for a price much lower than in the United States. We, at Mexico Bariatric Services, work with well-established weight loss surgeons in Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, and Guadalajara.
Did you know?
One can expect to lose more than half of the excess weight within 2 years of undergoing gastric bypass surgery. (Source: MedlinePlus)
Having been performed for over 50 years, gastric bypass is the bariatric procedure in which surgeons have the most experience. According to Columbia University’s Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery, about 50% to 66% of excess weight can be lost in the first two years after gastric bypass. Alternatively known as Roux-en-Y bypass, RNY, and RYGB, it also results in successful resolution of co-morbidities.
Disclaimer: Weight loss results may vary. We do not guarantee any specific results.
What is Gastric Bypass?
Gastric bypass decreases the size of the stomach, which makes you feel full more quickly. It also makes food bypass part of the small intestine, resulting in absorption of fewer calories and nutrients.
Gastric bypass surgery involves dividing the stomach into two sections in order to curtail the amount of food you can eat at a time. The smaller upper pouch is then connected to the small intestine, causing food to “bypass” the rest of the stomach and intestine where absorption of calories takes place.
This procedure, along with following a diet regimen as prescribed by your surgeon, has the potential to make you lose weight drastically.1 Weight loss will also put you out of risk of the multiple co-morbidities associated with obesity,2 such as:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Heart Disease
- Liver Disease
- Mood Disorders
- Reproductive Disorders
How Much is Gastric Bypass in Mexico?
While the average cost of gastric bypass in the United States is $23,000, in Mexico the costs begin from $5,595, translating to savings of over 70%.
*Prices are subject to change without prior approval.
Gastric Bypass Package Inclusions
Once you have made up your mind for surgery, you will be glad to know that our discounted gastric bypass package the cost of which begins from only $5,595 includes:
- Surgeon’s fee and other payables related to the surgery
- 3-night hotel stay
- Aftercare and nutrition program
- Pre- and post-surgery lab work
- Free phone calls
- Complimentary ground transfers and a lot more
(This is the package price for RYGB in Tijuana, Mexico; all prices are subject to change without prior notification.)
Fill our online quote-form for the latest deals and prices.
|Length of Procedure||Hospital Stay||Resumption of Work|
|About 1 ½ hours||4-6 days||3-6 weeks|
Some of the risks of gastric bypass are:
- Infection at the site of incisions
- Incisional hernia
- Leakage in the stomach pouch
- Blood clot (in legs or lungs)
- Nutritional deficiency
- Gallstones or kidney stones
- Vomiting on eating more than the capacity of your new stomach
Supplements for Prevention of Nutritional Deficiencies
As your body may no longer be able to absorb certain nutrients from food, your surgeon may prescribe dietary supplements. According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), RYGB patients should take the following to avoid any complications:
- Vitamin D – Daily intake of 1,600 to 2,000 IU of Vitamin D for prevention of bone loss; in case of detection of Vitamin D deficiency, a weekly oral dosage of 50,000 IU for eight weeks may be prescribed
- Calcium – Daily supplementation of 1,600 mg of calcium is advised
- Multivitamins – Supplementation containing twice the daily multivitamin requirements every day; keep a gap of two hours between your calcium dose and multivitamins
- Vitamin B12 – B12 supplementation is recommended for good bone health and for prevention of fractures
- Iron – Menstruating women and teenagers are recommended an additional 50 to 100 mg of iron supplementation over and above the iron content they get from their multivitamins
- Vitamin C – Recommended for absorbing iron
Make sure you consult your doctor for all your nutritional requirements.
Advantages of Having Gastric Bypass in Mexico
The average self-pay price of gastric bypass in the United States in 2015 is $24,000. By having your RYGB in Mexico, it’s possible to save tremendous amounts over US prices. But these initial cost savings as well as the lowered future medical costs (considering obese people have to shell out an additional $1,429 annually on medical concerns, as per the Centers for Disease Control) aren’t the only advantages.
- Obesity is on the rise in North America, so doctors are performing bariatric surgeries more and more often. It is easy to find experienced weight loss surgeons in Mexico.
- We work with well-qualified gastric bypass surgeons who speak reasonably good English and can easily explain all aspects of the surgery to you.
- It can be quite unnerving to go under the knife in a foreign country, and the doctors strive to make their patients as comfortable as possible.
- Getting there is easy. Cities such as Tijuana lie just across the US-border.
- You get to schedule your gastric bypass procedure sans any waiting periods involved.
For information on gastric bypass in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Guadalajara, contact us through the quote form on the right.
If you are thinking of gastric bypass – Mexico could be a good option if you’re finding it difficult to afford it in your home country.
- Maciejewski ML, Arterburn DE, Van Scoyoc L, Smith VA, Yancy WS, Weidenbacher HJ, Livingston EH, Olsen MK. Bariatric Surgery and Long-term Durability of Weight Loss. JAMA Surg.2016; 151(11): 1046–1055. doi:10.1001 / jamasurg.2016.2317
- Sundbom M, Hedberg J. et al. “Substantial Decrease in Comorbidity 5 Years After Gastric Bypass: A Population-based Study From the Scandinavian Obesity Surgery Registry” Annals of Surgery (2017); 265(6):1166-117. PMC. Web. 14 Sept. 2017.