Revision weight-loss surgery is performed either when there are some complications with the initial surgery or the desired weight-loss results have not been achieved.
Although lap band surgery is known to have been a highly successful kind of a bariatric procedure, for some people, it just doesn’t work. And that’s when they might think of switching over to a gastric sleeve instead.
The need for Revision Surgery
- It is a surgical procedure for treatment, rather revision, of unsuccessful weight loss surgery.
- It is recommended for patients who have undergone bariatric surgery previously, and experienced:
- Complications after the former surgery
- Insufficient weight loss
- Regain of about 40 % of the weight shed initially after their primary surgery
- While considering the eligibility of patients for the repeat surgery, the patient’s age, weight, and lifestyle is assessed to ascertain the reason for failure of the initial surgery.
- If it is determined that the surgery failed due to the patient’s reluctance for lifestyle changes, a more committed diet and exercise routine is recommended.
When to convert Lap Band to Sleeve?
Below are the cases in which a patient might want to switch from his lap band to gastric sleeve.
- Gastric band has slipped
- Band has eroded
- Complaints of regurgitation or heart burn since gastric banding
- Pain while swallowing
- Unsatisfactory results
How many days will it take?
Surgery Duration Nights in Hospital Nights in Hotel Back to Work
1-1.5 Hours 2-3 Nights 3 (1 Pre-Op, 2 Post-Op) 1-2 Weeks
Blood tests, x-rays, endoscopy, are all performed to ensure the state of the gastric band and plan the revision surgery accordingly.
The doctor would likely want to see your complete medical history. If there has been insufficient weight-loss or weight-regain with gastric banding, your food and lifestyle choices will also be put under the scanner.
A weight-loss surgery can weight heavy on the pocket, and if it is a second-time expense, it might dent your budget significantly. But going to Tijuana for the revision of your lap band to gastric sleeve will save your thousands of dollars.
With Mexican hospitals realizing the potential in foreign patients and medical tourism, the facilities there can match the treatment and care standards provided by their counterparts up north.
The cost for revision weight-loss surgery varies from case to case; we will be able to provide the exact costs after determining the requirements in your case. Please fill-out the form on the right for more details.