Let us walk you through the steps for weight loss surgery in Mexico to give you an insight into our process, and remove any confusion or ambiguity.
Patient Orientation Guide
Go through the entire guide carefully and prepare yourself for the transformative journey.
Step 1: Where to Start?
- Begin by filling the medical questionnaire online.
- Complete the form with honest and accurate information for proper evaluation.
- Remember to give up-to-date contact information so that you can be notified of your application status.
- The form is reviewed by the bariatric surgeon who determines your eligibility for bariatric surgery.
- The bariatric surgeon may approve or disapprove your candidacy based on his discretion and analysis.
Please fill the contact form so that we can send you the medical questionnaire.
Step 2: What Happens if You get Disapproved?
- We get in touch with you to convey the reasons for the disapproval.
- You are also informed of the measures you can take to qualify for the surgery in the future.
Step 3: Approval
- Successful applicants are notified by the Case Manager.
- Correspond with your Case Manager for any and all queries in the future. They are there to make your weight loss journey with us as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
- You are requested to specify your preferred dates for surgery.
- A surgery appointment is confirmed based on your desired date, doctor’s schedule, and hospital availability.
Step 4: Confirmation of Appointment
- You are sent the payment details and consent form.
- Send back the consent form, duly signed by you.
- Remember to pay a $250-deposit within 5 days of booking surgery date.
- You also receive an info packet with itinerary, travel tips, and pre-op instructions.
- Send your Case Manager your flight details so that accommodation and complimentary transportation can be arranged for you in Mexico.
Step 5: Preparation for Surgery
- Follow the pre-op diet instructions sent by the nutritionist religiously. Sticking to a strict pre-op diet is essential to the success of bariatric surgery.
- Stop drinking and smoking as advised by your nutritionist, otherwise it might lead to complications.
- Pack light as you cannot lift more than 15 pounds after surgery. Carry only loose and essential clothing items like cotton T-shirts, pyjamas, undergarments, a pair of comfortable slippers, etc.
- You do not need to carry water bottles as bottled water is easily available in Mexico. Do bring along protein shakes if you prefer a certain flavour or brand.
- If you use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, we strongly advise you to bring it along. If you forget to carry yours, one can be provided for you at the hospital for additional charges.
- Make sure you have your passport and any other required travel documents, and that they are up to date.
- Our driver will contact you 24 hours before your flight.
Step 6: Welcome to Mexico
- At the airport, our driver welcomes you and drives you to the hotel.
- At the hotel, the destination manager greets you and helps you to check in.
- You are given contact information to get in touch with your managers, advisors and doctors in case you need to reach them while in the hotel.
- Rest well and remember to stop taking fluids or food after midnight or 8 hours before the surgery, whichever is earlier.
Step 7: Day of Surgery
- The destination manager helps you with any remaining paperwork.
- You are driven to the hospital where you can meet your nurses, surgeons, and other medical staff.
- You are taken to your hospital room and advised to change into a hospital gown.
- Pre-op tests are done in the well-equipped in-house laboratories.
- While you wait for the results, our on-site bariatric nutritionist meets you and offers a tailored post-surgery diet plan.
- Your surgeon receives and studies the lab results. With a green light from your doctor, the surgery begins.
- Your case manager checks up on you regularly and informs your family, as and if requested.
Step 8: After the Surgery
- After a successful surgery, you are taken back to your hospital room for recovery.
- You can call your family members back home and inform them of the good news.
- Focus on two things after the surgery: Drink a lot of water and walk, walk, walk! Stay hydrated and get on your feet for a healthy and speedy recovery.
- Your doctor and medical staff checks in on you daily for post-op checks, including scans to test for leaks.
Step 9: Day of Discharge
- Drain tubes are removed.
- You are given your medical records, including test results and a “gastric sleeve card.”
- Receive your medications and instructions on taking them responsibly.
- You are transferred back to the hotel for one more night of stay.
- If desired by you or your companion, a city tour can be arranged at a nominal cost. See the popular tourist destinations in Mexico and take lots of pictures for the ultimate travel experience.
- Based on your flight timings the next day, our driver drops you at the airport. You can drive or fly back home as desired.
Step 10: The Life After
- After you reach home, MTC is always there to support you in achieving long term success.
- Follow the post-op diet instructions given by our bariatric nutritionist diligently for a seamless recovery.
- Restart your medications as advised by your doctor.
- When in doubt, contact your medical staff for advice. We are always pleased to help you.
- Follow an exercise regimen to help you stay fit and healthy. No surgery is successful in the long term without a good, balanced diet and some moderate exercise.
- You can join our online support group for continued guidance and stay connected with people who’ve had bariatric surgery to compare your progress.
Happy weight loss journey to you!
We hope this guide gave you a clear idea of everything that lies ahead.