Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
One of our clients asks: Anyone else experiencing a metallic taste in mouth after weight loss surgery?
Reasons for Metallic Taste in Mouth Post WLS
In a more general sense, there are several reasons for this metallic taste in mouth like sinus issues, pregnancy, food allergies or even poor oral health.
This is very normal and goes away in time. A lot of patients have complained about it when drinking water. It is recommended to try infusing water with lemon, limes, cucumber, strawberry, and mint, etc. – Katelyn JM (US-RD Nutritionist)
Dysgeusia or Parageusia is associated with this condition where the taste buds are distorted. It is a serious condition because an aversion to many foods can lead to malnutrition after gastric bypass or sleeve surgery.
Caution- This condition can be diagnosed only after all lab results have been thoroughly reviewed and, your Primary Care Physician (PCP) is sure that this isn’t a temporary reaction to a medicine you are taking. Taste Changes after Bariatric Surgery: What to Do when Your Patients Cannot Stand the Taste of Their Food
View in Article
- If you are less than three months out from gastric sleeve or bypass surgery, it is likely to be related to zinc deficiency.
- It may also be related to your new vitamin/mineral routine.
You can add some fruit such as peeled bananas, peaches, nectarines to help increase your complex carbs which can put ketosis at bay.
In a study, it was reported that most of the RNY (Gastric Bypass) patients developed an aversion to meat products.Taste, smell and appetite change after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
View in Article
HealthLineKristine Vanijcharoenkarn, reviewed by Saurabh Sethi. HealthLine, “What Causes a Metallic Taste in My Mouth?” 2018
View in Article has given the following ways to reduce the effect of this condition.
- Sugarfree gum/mint
- Brush your teeth
- Stay hydrated
- Say no to smoking
- Try to cook in non-metallic utensils
This Post Addresses
- Weird taste in mouth after bariatric surgery
- Metallic taste in mouth after eating
- Coppery taste in the mouth
- Nausea after sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass
- BT Online Editor, Bariatric Times. “Taste Changes after Bariatric Surgery: What to Do when Your Patients Cannot Stand the Taste of Their Food.”
- Graham L, Murty G, Bowrey DJ. “Taste, smell and appetite change after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery” Obesity Surgery 2014; 24(9): 1463-1468
- Kristine Vanijcharoenkarn, reviewed by Saurabh Sethi. HealthLine, “What Causes a Metallic Taste in My Mouth?” 2018