There have been ample of questions lately on the Facebook page about weight loss stalls and how to best jumpstart a weight loss stall after bariatric surgery. Let’s discuss it in detail.
Is it normal to experience weight loss stalls after bariatric surgery?
I’ve been stalled at the same weight after gastric sleeve at 7 weeks after leaving the hospital. What should I do?
Add in some exercise/resistance activities after bariatric surgery. Going off of diet alone won’t be enough long-term to keep losing or maintain the weight loss – Katelyn Mock (Registered Dietician USA)
There can be many causes of weight loss stalls following weight loss surgery. Find the root cause and fight against accordingly.
Fighting Weight Stalls Post Weight Loss Surgery
- Avoid the temptation to go back to clear liquids as that causes a person’s metabolism to lower.
- Avoid Snacking. Keep a tab on your food intake and make sure extra snacks aren’t adding up.
- Also, introduce more vegetables and fruits, depending on how far out someone is and their tolerance for such foods.
- Changing up the exercise routine and adding some resistance activity can make a big difference.
- Replace sweet drinks with
- Low-fat soy milk,
- Smoothie made with nonfat plain yogurt, skim milk, and frozen fruit,
- Tea or coffee with no cream or sugar.
Pouch Resetting and Clear Liquid Diet Post Bariatric Surgery
If your weight has stalled, you might have to go back to clear liquids to reset your pouch. Well yes, you may lose some weight. But, you may miss out on a lot of essential calories, in the process. Get your labs done regularly to ensure you aren’t deficient in vital nutrients.
Causes For Weight Loss Stalls After WLS
Lack of Sodium
One of the main functions of sodium is to act as a regulator for fluid balance in the body. The more sodium you take in, the more water you hold on to.
If you’ve had a Honey Baked Ham or lots of popcorn, you’re really thirsty for the next few hours, waking up in the middle of the night, and start guzzling water. Sounds familiar?
- The more sodium you have, the more water retention you have.
- Taking sodium out of your pre-bariatric surgery diet, you eliminate more fluid.
Lowered Metabolism Rate
Crash dieting and cutting on too many calories too fast lower your metabolism. The calories would burn slowly because your body thinks you’re starving. Also, your body will break down valuable muscle tissue for energy.
So, that’s why a lot of times people will lose weight on a diet and regain all the lost weight adding another 2-3 pounds.
How to Break a Stall After Weight Loss Surgery?
Be Mindful of What You Eat After Bariatric Surgery
- Write down everything you are eating.
- Just think of what you are bringing in your body.
- Develop new eating habits that will help you maintain your weight loss.
- Eat more fruits and veggies post-WLS.
- Follow the ‘Steam, Roast, Bake’ criteria with your food.
So, yes, protein is important but it is not the end-all-be-all if you are more than six months out from bariatric surgery.
Even if you are more than two or three months, it is not necessarily the only thing you need to focus on. A wholesome diet makes a huge difference in your weight loss.
Exercise After Weight Loss Surgery Should Be Routine
Finally, try to increase your activity following your bariatric procedure or change up your activity. You are constantly doing the same exercise or the same daily activity in your garden or at work.
You have to shake things up. Your body is going to once again adapt to whatever it is that you are doing.
- Your body will adapt to fewer calories, as it has got used to it.
- Change the intensity/resistance of your physical activity.
- Have an Inclination towards the treadmill.
So, I hope this helps and this is a long one. It is a big tangent, but I think this is an area that is very confusing and frustrating and once again there is no exact science to it.
Video: Tips to stay motivated after WLS
Video: Post Workout Snacks
We are learning more and more and it is one of those things where you have played with it. Try one thing and then try another thing.
Never Compare Weight Loss
This Post Addresses
- Slow weight loss after gastric bypass
- Stopped losing weight after gastric sleeve
- Weight loss stall after gastric sleeve
- Why am I not losing weight after gastric bypass surgery
- Gastric bypass 6-month plateau
- Gastric sleeve stall
- Why am I not losing weight after gastric bypass surgery?
- Stopped losing weight after gastric bypass
- Not losing weight after bariatric surgery
- Gastric sleeve plateau