Medically Reviewed by Katelyn J. Mock, US-Registered Dietician (R.D.)
Living a healthy life is a daily decision. Every day will not be perfect and that is okay.
However, recognizing and making those small wholesome choices is what helps to “make it” or “break it” for most people. Decisions like deciding to make a quick vegetable stir-fry at home over going through the drive-thru.
- Take a walk after dinner or hop on the treadmill for a quick 15 minutes instead of sitting on the couch.
- Don’t eat in front of the television
- Plan and set your vitamins out the night before so you remember to take them the next morning.
These small steps make a huge difference when accounted for over 6 months or a year. Nothing good usually happens overnight, and that is true for weight reduction as well.
Sustainable weight loss takes time, even with surgery. You are at a point now where the honeymoon of losing 5-10 lbs. in a week is likely gone, and believe it or not, that is a good thing.
From this point on, those small, daily decisions that you make will have the biggest impact on your weight and your health. You can do it, take one day at a time!
Living an active, healthy life will give you new goals that go beyond the number on the scale. Think about getting strong when you go to the gym or that exercise class, not just getting thin.
Women especially need to focus on building muscle to protect bones, help with menopause-associated weight gain, and increasing your metabolism.
Tip of the Month
- Before you reach for snacks after a long day, pause and get yourself a glass of water.
- Frequently our bodies need a little extra hydration at the end of the day
- Take 5 minutes to assess if you are feeling stressed, tense, or just happy to be home? Checking in with ourselves before eating is an important habit to avoid long term emotional, stress eating and grazing type behaviors.
- If, after the 5-minute “pause/check-in”, you are still hungry, pull out some veggies and dip or fruit, sit down, and have a small snack before the rest of your evening begins.