Medically Reviewed by Katelyn J. Mock, US-Registered Dietician (R.D.)
Want to know the number ONE way to put weight back on after surgery? Start grazing during the day on simple carbohydrates and eating mindlessly at night while staring at some type of screen.
Everyone always wants to know what they can do to maintain their weight loss long term, and my biggest recommendation is to
- Always limit the crispy, crunchy carbohydrates (chips, pretzels, popcorn, crackers granola bars, candy, sweets, soda)
- Avoid distracted eating.
Video: Stop Evening Snacking after WLS
Simple carbohydrates usually have many calories and are low in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and do not get an individual “full.”
They are also typically consumed mindlessly, as in watching tv or looking at one’s phone.
When you are mindful of your eating choices and fully present in the eating process, you decrease your desire to snack during the day.
Continue to limit the amount of liquid you drink during and after your meals.
Fluids can push food through your stomach faster than usual causing your stomach to stretch and making you feel hungry faster after a meal.
Wait at least 20-30 minutes once you have finished a meal to begin sipping fluids again. If you need something to help moisten your mouth after eating, try having a low sugar mint.
The online Facebook support group is an excellent place to go to for advice and tips after surgery, but some people find that they want or need more support. A local support group may be a great option for you.
If your first support group meeting isn’t everything you hoped it would be, don’t give up. You may have to go a couple of times to feel comfortable or sometimes a different group in your area may be a better fit.
Tip of the Month
- Find little ways to incorporate a short burst of activity into your day.
- Waiting by the microwave for your food to warm up? Do 10 lunges with each leg.
- Brushing your teeth in the morning? Do 10 squats.
- Need a break from sitting at work? Take a 5-minute walk around the building, inside or outside to give your body and brain a little break.
- Brushing your teeth in the morning or before bed? Do 20 calf raises.