Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
Question by a post-op gastric sleeve patient
I am tired of sweet protein drinks. What can I have instead?
Our bariatric nutritionist answers:
It is common to either have an aversion to sweets after surgery or get tired of the same protein drink flavors.
Reading labels and avoiding artificial sweeteners may help in alleviating some of those sweet aversions. Here’s a small video on how to read food labels effectively.
Some artificial sweeteners
- Acesulfame potassium
Tips to use protein powders
- Don’t use sweeteners like sugar alcohols. They can cause physical intolerances such as gas, bloating, and diarrhea.
- Be non-conventional and add protein powder to other foods as well. Vanilla and unflavored powders are the best for this.
- Add a couple of teaspoons or a tablespoon of vanilla protein powder to hot cereal, yogurt, pudding, or smoothies.
- Unflavored protein powders are great additives to stir into cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, soup/stews, and casseroles.
How to avoid commercial powders
- Make your own protein drink or smoothie with plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Use fruit as a great natural sweetener or creamy peanut butter for a less sweet and more savory flavor.
- Fruit gives you additional vitamins, minerals, and fiber,
- Peanut or nut butter can have additional protein, fiber, vitamins/minerals, and heart-healthy fats as well.