It is absolutely normal to regain weight after bariatric surgery, and our visitors had a few questions about this section on crispy-crunchy carbs. So, I wanted to go ahead and explain that a little bit more.
The Bariatric Surgery Funnel Theory
After surgery, I would like to think of the pouch, kind of like a funnel. So, here is my conduit. You can initially put anything into it, but if it is going to come out, it has to come out in this minimal area.
So, think of your mouth as this big portion of the funnel. You can put anything in there but it is not always going to go all the way through at the bottom.
Effect of Eating Large Portion Sizes Post Weight Loss Surgery
- So, things that are large in portion size are not going to go through so, you are going to vomit, or you are going to feel uncomfortable until that pouch can digest it and it just goes through it.
- Sometimes, people compare that to a kind of heartburn or just things feel like they are stuck, and in a sense, they are stuck until your stomach can work to digest it but, that is when a lot of times when people vomit. Nausea after bariatric surgery is a common complication that can be fairly aggravated by making bad eating choices.
But the crispy-crunchy carbs tend to go through the funnel very easily.
So, if you think about those foods that are very simple to digest, those are the foods that go through this pouch very quickly. There are frequently things that can cause weight gain or regain if you have already had surgery.
Crispy-Crunchy Carbs After Bariatric Surgery
So, let me go to crispy-crunchy carbs. It is more than just those crispy-crunchy things, but we will start with that. So, I raided my snack drawer and pantry here and my freezer for all the goodies.
Video: Crispy Crunchy Carbs Effect After WLS
Examples of Crispy-Crunchy Carbs
- Potato chips
- Tortilla chips
- Candy bars
So, while these things are all okay in moderation, you want to be cautious. Since they are well-tolerated, they make you gain weight quickly.
Whereas, things like fruits and vegetables and whole grains and some proteins can be a little bit more difficult to tolerate at times but they are the things that are going to help keep you full longer between meals and those are things that are going to provide your body with the vitamins, nutrients, minerals, proteins and fiber that it needs.
Hope this helps. Keep that funnel in mind when you are eating the next time. It is crucial that you keep your bonus weight away after bariatric surgery. To help you better here’s an advice from our nutritionist on how to manage cravings after WLS:
Salty Crunchy Snacks To Eat After Bariatric Surgery
Here are some alternatives to satisfy your cravings for salty, crunchy snacks after bariatric surgery:
- Peanuts are a good option as they have some protein in them.
- You can also consider having crisp pork skin snacks (pork rind).
- Dry roasted salted edamame is a savory alternative too.
- You could also try dried peas. They have a decent amount of plant protein, are low in fat, and are salty without being high in sodium.
This Post Addresses
- Good food choices after bariatric surgery
- Snack grazing after weight loss surgery like the gastric sleeve and gastric bypass
- Junk food cravings
- Can you have french fries or potato chips after gastric sleeve?