Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
Bariatric surgery is a tool that is used to combat obesity and its co-morbidities. Everyone responds differently to bariatric procedures. But, the one common thing for all the patients is that weight loss surgery is not a shortcut. It is a lifelong commitment.
Mentally preparing yourself for surgery is the best thing you can do. It’s more about keeping your mind in check, and the rest will follow.
Therefore, certain guidelines have to be religiously followed in order to get optimum weight loss results after bariatric surgery. Let’s discuss these!
Say no to carbonated beverages and alcohol for at least six weeks
- This includes diet sodas.
- A study by John Hopkins University states that people who consume diet soda compensate for the calories by eating more. Hence, diet sodas and weight loss do not go hand-in-hand. “Diet Beverages Are Not the Solution for Weight Loss” January 16 2014, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
View in Article
Refrain from lifting weights or doing high impact exercises for six weeks after surgery.
- It is advised to start exercising after bariatric surgery and building endurance very slowly. Start by walking 20-30 minutes a day.
- As you heal from your surgery, you can opt for different forms of exercise like yoga, pilates, and swimming.
- To tone your muscles, it is recommended to do strength training at least twice a week. Strength training improves one’s posture as well. Muscle helps burn fat faster. <emCoen, Paul M., and Bret H. Goodpaster. “A Role for Exercise after Bariatric Surgery?” Diabetes, obesity & metabolism1 (2016): 16–23. PMC. Web. 19 June 2018.
View in Article
Do not get in a hot tub or go swimming for at least four weeks after surgery.
- It is recommended not to take a shower for 48 hours after the surgery. After taking a shower, it is important to pat the incision dry.
- For cleaning your wound, use soap and water, and keep it covered with a gauze bandage.
- Avoid swimming until your wounds have healed. Doctors recommend you wait for at least 3 weeks before splashing in a swimming pool.
- As regards using a bathtub, it is not advised for the first 6 weeks or till the incisions have healed.“Recovering from Bariatric Surgery”, University of California San Francisco. 19 June 2018.
View in Article
- It is always better to ask the weight loss surgeon for a final ‘go-ahead’ before taking a bath.
Follow the diet plan as recommended by your nutritionist and surgeon.
- The pre-op bariatric liquid diet is to shrink the liver before weight loss surgery.
- Some recommended ideas are popsicles, lemonade, diluted orange juice and Gatorade.
- For post-op diet after the bariatric surgery, it is recommended to slowly graduate from soft foods to vegetables and fruits over the course of next few months.
This Post Addresses
- Who is a candidate for bariatric surgery?
- Who qualifies for gastric sleeve surgery?
- Is bariatric surgery safe long term?
- What are the requirements for bariatric surgery?
- “Diet Beverages Are Not the Solution for Weight Loss” January 16, 2014, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Coen, Paul M., and Bret H. Goodpaster. “A Role for Exercise after Bariatric Surgery?” Diabetes, obesity & metabolism1 (2016): 16–23. PMC. Web. 19 June 2018.
- “Recovering from Bariatric Surgery”, University of California San Francisco. 19 June 2018.
It is never too late to take control of your health!