Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
The amount of weight you lose will depend on the kind of bariatric surgery you choose and the conscious lifestyle alterations you make. Increase your physical activity levels and eat well to lose the maximum weight. However, it is important to have reasonable weight loss goals.
For your bariatric surgery to be called a success, you will have to keep off more than half of the excess weight. The surgery helps you lose weight and also eliminates medication for co-morbidities.
(Source: MedPage Today)
You lose weight the fastest after gastric bypass surgery, followed by gastric sleeve and lap band surgery.
Weight Loss After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
For successful gastric sleeve surgery, it is important to include lifestyle changes.
- Individuals with gastric sleeve lose about 18 % percent of excess body weight in the first month. 1
- Average weight loss by the end of 6 months is nearly 50% of the excess weight.
- By the end of the first year, the average weight loss is 63% of the excess weight.
Studies at a Glance:
- In a 2013 study published in the journal Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, gastric sleeve patients with an average BMI of 43 were covered. The mean follow up was 5.9 years.2
- The average excessive BMI lost over 5 years was 57.4%. The first year reported considerable weight loss with decreased but stable weight loss in the subsequent years following surgery.
- The study concluded that the average excessive BMI lost was:
- 5% (12.6 kg/m2) after 1 year
- 1% (12.4 kg/m2) after 2 years
- 4% (11.2 kg/m2) after 5 years
- The report also concluded that sleeve gastrectomy is effective in reducing nearly 60% of excessive BMI and complete remission of co-morbidities in patients after almost 6 years.
- Another study by Vincent W. Vanek was conducted on two groups of morbidly obese patients – one was prescribed a diet and the other underwent gastric sleeve surgeries.3 The results showed that the former group lost 2% of the excessive BMI and the latter lost 27%, over a median follow up of more than 15 years.
Weight Loss After Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Studies show that patients lose about 30% to 40% of their excess body weight in the first 6 months, post gastric bypass.4
- Within one year of the surgery, many patients lose a considerable amount of excess BMI and are quite close to their weight goal.
- The stomach pouch usually stretches after 21 months to hold more food, which stabilizes weight loss.
- Overall, the average excess body weight loss in patients is about 60%. For instance, a person weighing 350-pounds (who weighs 200 pounds extra) would drop about 120 pounds.5
The surgeon guides the patient through choosing the most beneficial weight loss procedure. There are risks and complications in both gastric bypass and gastric sleeve, but with care and the conscious effort of living a healthier life, the patient eventually settles down.
A dose of weight loss motivation to help you reach your target.
- Marcy Brinkley; Expected Monthly Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve; http://www.livestrong.com/article/293635-expected-monthly-weight-loss-with-the-gastric-sleeve/
- Kristina Fiore; Gastric Sleeve Works Long Term, MedPage Today; http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/40490
- Vincent W. Vanek, MD, FACS, CNSP; Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery; http://laparoscopy.blogs.com/prevention_management_3/2010/11/laparoscopic-bariatric-surgery.html
- Weight Loss Surgery: What to Expect the First Year; WebMD Feature Archive http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/weight-loss-surgery-what-to-expect-the-first-year?page=2
- What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery? WebMD Medical Reference http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/what-gastric-bypass-surgery?page=2
This Page Addresses
- What is the average weight loss after gastric sleeve?
- How fast do you lose weight after gastric bypass surgery?
- Can you put weight back on after gastric sleeve?
- How fast will I lose weight after gastric sleeve surgery?
- How much weight do you lose in the first month after gastric bypass?