Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
A light pudding that can be made ahead of time. Wait to top it with the whipped cream and walnuts until you’re ready to serve.
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 + 3/4 cups of 1%low fat milk
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Dash of salt
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream
- Combine 6 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine milk and egg in a different pan, stirring well with a whisk.
- Gradually add this milk mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring constantly and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine pumpkin and the next 4 ingredients (through ground nutmeg) in a bowl, stirring well.
- Slowly add pumpkin mixture to the milk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Place the pan over low heat, and cook for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Stir it constantly, do not bring it to a boil.
- Divide the pudding evenly among 4 dessert bowls, and cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and coat foil with cooking spray.
- Throw in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, walnuts and a dash of salt in a small nonstick skillet; cook over low heat until sugar dissolves and is golden (about 3 minutes).
- Stir frequently until the nuts are coated.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking sheet and cool completely.
- Coarsely chop nuts.
- Place cream in a bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Top each serving with 2 tablespoons whipped cream and about 1 tablespoon nuts.
Click for Printable Recipe.