Would love your thoughts, please comment at the end of the post!
Questions to Ask Before Weight Loss Surgery
It is natural to have a lot of reservations about getting surgery. Here is what Cleveland Clinic and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) recommend you ask your doctor to put your mind at ease.
1. Which bariatric surgery will suit you best?
A qualified doctor can assess your case and suggest the surgery that’s best for you. You can even talk to the doctor about the staff which assists him during surgery.
2. What impact will the weight loss surgery have on my co-morbid conditions?
Obesity brings many co-morbidities which may get cured when you shed the excess weight. Discuss your case and healthcare in detail with your doctor.
3. What are some lifestyle changes that have to be incorporated?
Your diet and exercise plan will change before and after the surgery. Ask your PCP and doctor about the changes you’d need to incorporate, both pre and post-op.
4. What are the options available for financing the weight loss surgery in Mexico?
Consult your doctor about the various financing plans and if they accept your insurance. You may have a lot of options If you need further assistance, Medical Bariatric Services has tie-ups with eFinancing Solutions and United Medical Credit to help you get a loan if needed.
5. Will the surgery be covered under the existing insurance plan?
Do keep in mind that you would need future appointments for aftercare, dieticians and counselors. How many of these services are covered under insurance?
6. What will the after-care comprise of?
After the surgery, you’d need aftercare to see the healing through. Don’t forget to ask your doctor all about it.
7. How much weight can I expect to lose after bariatric surgery?
The amount of weight you lose after surgery depends on a number of factors like the kind of surgery done and lifestyle changes incorporated. Ask your doctor about things that work best for other people.
8. How much time will I take to recover?
The time taken to recover is different for different people. Discuss your case with your doctor and ask for his assessment. You can even ask your doctor to narrate his experiences with his past patients and the time it took them to recover.
9. What are certain complications that can arise during or after gastric sleeve or gastric bypass?
If you have co-morbidities that come with obesity like type 2 diabetes, then discuss these issues with your doctor to prevent certain complications during surgery. It is good to be aware of the complications beforehand.
10. Will cosmetic surgery be required after weight loss surgery?
Cosmetic surgery may not be required and your skin may spring back into shape. Usually, people wait up to 18 months after their bariatric surgery. Consider asking your doctor about this in detail.
11. Is it better to consult my Primary Care Physician before I leave for Mexico?
It is a good idea to consult your PCP before you leave so that they are in the picture. After the surgery, they will be able to help you with a custom post-op diet.
A sound emotional state of mind is very important for bariatric surgery to succeed. Keep calm and enjoy the fruits of all your hard work!
- “Bariatric Surgery FAQs.” ASMBS – American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery,
- “Questions to Ask Your Doctor.” Cleveland Clinic,
This Page Addresses:
- Gastric sleeve questions for surgeons
- Things to know before weight loss surgery
- Questions you must ask before gastric bypass
- How to prepare for a bariatric consultation?
- Before bariatric surgery – what to ask?