This set of instructions is for people in the ninth week or 2 months and one week after bariatric surgery.
Are you continuing to eat 3-6 small planned meals daily? Has extra grazing started to creep into your normal eating habits? Squash the snacking by taking some extra time to really plan those mini-meals.
By knowing what your next meal is, you avoid the temptation to grab a handful of chips or candy that is lying around at work or home.
Some great mini-meals in a pinch are:
- String cheese and a banana or other fresh fruit/vegetable
- 2tbs. hummus and baby carrots
- Yogurt and fresh berries
- Whole-grain crackers with 1 tbs. nut butter
- Hardboiled egg and ½ cup low sodium vegetable juice
Around two months after bariatric surgery, you may be starting to notice the return of “head hunger.” Or maybe it never went away for you.
Now is a good time to really work on mindful eating practices after bariatric surgery that directly helps to control head hunger and other mindless eating practices.
Check out old posts and videos on our Facebook page that deal directly with mindful eating or reach out to our dietitian for recommended reading and practices.
Tip of the week
- Remember to exercise almost daily to maintain that lean muscle mass.
- Individuals that rely only on surgery for weight loss lose important lean mass that helps to burn extra calories.
- Individuals that don’t exercise have been shown to experience weight re-gain more than those that incorporate regular exercise into their lifestyle.
- Start small, such as walking for 10-20 minutes.
- Use hand-weights during commercials of your favorite show, or walk up and down a flight of stairs several times at work.