Pouch Stretching after Gastric Bypass
We know that bariatric surgery alters the size of the stomach, creating a new stomach pouch. This pouch naturally stretches a little over time. But, with the right eating habits, this stretching of the new stomach can be kept to a minimum.
Simple tricks such as the following help keep the stomach pouch in shape-
- Portion control
- No sipping fluids while eating
- Take a small snack, instead of a large meal
- Never eat on a hungry stomach
- Mindful eating
- Pay attention to nutritional needs
Video: Post Bariatric Surgery Pouch Reset Diet
Does eating protein along with a few sips of broth cause pouch stretching after gastric bypass?
Client’s question: I am wondering-
- What is the difference between eating protein and a sugar-free popsicle vs. eating protein and a sip of water after gastric bypass?
- Doesn’t the sugar-free popsicle melt into the flavored water? What about eating a few bites of protein and a few sips of broth?
- Isn’t that like drinking water with your meal which might result in the stomach pouch getting stretched after bypass?
This is a good question as it confuses a lot of people.
- Having a couple of sips of water or sucking on a popsicle after having a protein drink is not going to stretch your pouch.
- The big thing we want is for you to avoid “chugging” water with meals or drinking too much water which may cause bloating and severe discomfort.
- Most of us are in the habit of washing down a meal with water or a glass of milk, and that can’t happen after gastric bypass surgery.
- Drinking more than 1-2 oz of fluid with a meal may cause dumping syndrome after gastric bypass. Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sweating, and diarrhea accompany diarrhea.Mayo Clinic Staff, “Gastric Bypass Diet: What to Eat After The Surgery“
View in Article
- Mayo Clinic Staff, “Gastric Bypass Diet: What to Eat After The Surgery“
This Post Addresses
- Gastric bypass surgery revision
- Gastric bypass pouch
- How much weight will I lose after gastric bypass
- Prevent stretched stomach after bariatric surgery
- Can you extend your stomach after gastric bypass